Candy Corn Table Mat
Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 190 Posts
After making a candy corn pot holder I decided to use some of the leftover fabric to make a larger version that can be used as a table mat.
Total Time: approximately 1.5 hours
- orange, yellow, and white cotton Halloween fabric and a contrasting piece for the backing
- cotton quilt batting
- thread, including orange for the top stitching
- newsprint or other large sheet of paper to create design
- cardboard for making templates
- measuring tape
- sewing machine
- Scotch tape
- Draw the candy corn design on your large sheet of paper. My pattern was 16" tall and 15 3/8" at its widest point. Cut out and trace onto cardboard, this will be the template for your backing and batting.
- Cut out your paper pattern, around the outside edge and along the the division lines for the three color sections.
- Next, trace your three template pieces onto cardboard, I used recycled food boxes. Including a seam allowance on the bottom of the white top, along the top and bottom edge of the middle section, and the top edge of the bottom piece. The seam allowance should be 1/4".
- Using your cardboard templates, trace the shapes onto your fabric. Cut them apart.
- Pin the three main pieces white, orange, and yellow, together and stitch.
- Clip the curves and press, pressing the darker color away from the lighter section.
- Cut one piece for your backing and one of the batting. For the batting use rolls of tape to adhere the template to the batting for easier cutting. I used the same process for the backing as it was black and I couldn't mark the outline easily for cutting.
- Layer your finished three part candy corn piece with right side facing the right side of the backing fabric. Top the stack with the batting.
- Pin and stitch, leaving a 3" opening for turning. Clip curves.
- Turn and press either with an iron or finger press the edges. Tuck in the seam allowance for the opening used for turning and stitch closed.
- Now you can add optional topstitching to finish your candy corn mat.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.