Making Felt Mouse Ears
We were in need of some last minute costumes this year. One of the ones I made were these no-sew mouse ears.
- felt (grey and pink)
- hot glue gun
- thin cardboard (for template)
- Create a template for the ears. I drew one ear and included 1/2 the length needed to go around the headband. Then cut out 2 ears on the fold.
- Create a template for the inner ear and cut out 2 inner ears from pink felt. Glue an inner ear to each ear, as shown below.
- Apply glue to the back of the each ear and fold in half. Be sure to not add glue to the center area, where the headband will slide through.
- Slide the ears onto the headband and apply glue if needed to hold ears in place.
- Optional Sewn Mouse Ears: I also made a fancier sewn version. I cut out 2 ears from wool felt, following above instructions. Cut out 2 inner ears from fabric. Open up the ears and sew the inner ears onto the ears, using a zigzag stitch.
- Fold the ears in half and pin together. Then sew around the outer edge and along the bottom to create a pocket for the headband.
- Insert the headband into the pockets of the ears. I used embroidery floss to tightly stitch the ears to the headband to hold them in place.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.