Making Pom Pom Pumpkins
My little guy loves "punkees", but most pumpkin items aren't really appropriate for a toddler. I made him this pom pom pumpkin and he seems to really enjoy it!
- x-large pom pom maker
- orange yarn
- green fabric
- sewing machine, optional
- Open one half of the pom pom maker and begin wrapping yarn around it, working your way from one end to the other. Continue wrapping until it is almost full and there is only a slight arched space in the middle. Then clip that half closed and repeat in the other half.
- Use scissors to cut through the center of the wrapped yarn, along the groove. Repeat on the other side.
- Cut a length of yarn and pull it firmly into the groove, bringing the ends together. Tie a tight knot. I like to wrap the yarn around a second time and tie another knot. Cut off the excess yarn.
- Cut two (2) strips of green fabric 2 in. x 8 in. and pin them together, right sides out. Stitch them together using a zig zag stitch. Then fold it in half and sew 1/4 in. from folded edge to create tunnel. Use a needle to feed the yarn through.
- Pull the yarn and fabric stem firmly into the groove, then unclip the two sides, and separate the pom pom maker to release the pom pom. Tie the yarn for the stem tightly and trim off extra yarn. Trim any other long pieces of yarn, if necessary.
- If you want, knot the fabric down inside the pom pom to make the stem stand up a bit (see photo below).
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.