Making Felt Kitty Ears
Gold Post Medal for All Time! 899 Posts
November 4, 2015
My daughter wanted to be a kitty along with her baby brother for Halloween this year. So I decided to make felt kitty costumes for them. The ears turned out really cute and were easily customizable.
- black felt (wide enough for tail length)
- white felt
- light pink felt
- felt for bow, optional
- black embroidery floss
- sewing needle
- plastic headbands
- hot glue gun
- paper or thin cardboard (for templates)
- Ears: Create templates for the ear and inner ear with paper or cardboard. Be sure to add 1/2 the amount you will need to wrap around the headband. Tip: I used a small piece of felt, wrapped it around the headband and marked where it came together on both sides. Then I found the center of that and added it to my ear template. (See photos below)
- Use the templates to cut out two (2) black ears along the fold and two (2) light pink inner ears.
- Glue the inner ears to one half of each ear.
- Fold the ears in half and glue along the edges. But make sure to leave a pocket open for the headband!
- Use black embroidery floss to stitch the ears tightly to the headband.
- Tuft of Hair (optional): If you want to add a tuft of hair to the headband, create a template and cut it out of felt along the fold. Fold in half and glue together, leaving a pocket for the headband. Remember to slide it onto the headband, in between the two ears.
- Top Bow (optional): Cut a felt rectangle (approx. 2 x 3 in.) and a small strip for the center. Fold the larger rectangle in half, then fold the two sides back to the center (as shown below). Wrap the small strip around the bow and glue in place. Attach it to the center of the headband by glueing the felt tab to the headband.
- Side Bow: Follow instructions above, but cut off the excess felt from the center strip. Apply glue to the cat ear and attach the bow.
- Now your ears are complete! Enjoy!
- Click here to make the matching tails and paws. You can also make the Tuna Can Bucket or Cat Food Bag for trick-or-treating.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2024 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.