Medusa Silhouette Halloween Window Decoration
Silver Post Medal for All Time! 254 Posts
October 14, 2021
This Halloween window decoration is sure to give anyone the heebie jeebies. In Greek mythology, Medusa was a winged female with live venomous snakes instead of hair. Anyone who looked into her eyes would turn to stone. This year I wanted to have something slightly creepy in the window and this is what I came up with.
- landscaping fabric
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 2 cups Water
- LED lights (Affiliate Link)
- White crayon
- Tape measure
- Masking tape
- Wide paintbrush
- Measure your window then cut out a piece of landscaping fabric the size of the window.
- Lay the fabric flat on a table and trace out a Medusa profile silhouette.
- Cut around the silhouette.
- Use masking tape to temporarily tape the fabric to the window.
- Mix 1/4 cup cornstarch with 1/2 cup warm water. Boil 1.5 cups of water. Turn off the heat and whisk in the cornstarch mixture, whisking constantly until it is well combined and starts to thicken. You want it to have the consistency of Elmer's glue.
- Using a paintbrush apply the cornstarch mixture. First, lift up the fabric to apply the cornstarch to the window under the fabric. This will help it adhere to the window. Remove the tape as it should stick to the window now. Paint the mixture over the top of the fabric making sure it is flat against the window without bubbles or bumps.
- Use a wet rag to wipe away excess paste from around the silhouette.
- Pull the blinds or curtains and your silhouette will glow with just the lights on in your house.
- To make this stand out at night, add LED lights to the windowsill. I got these from Amazon and they come with a remote that allows you to change the lights to any color you like. I liked the purple best for this project.
LED Lights at Amazon (Affiliate Link)
October 17, 20210 found this helpful
Cool idea! Thanks!
Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,246 Posts
October 25, 20210 found this helpful
Ooo this turned out great! Love it!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2023 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.