Making a Witch Boot Centerpiece
I wanted to make a new centerpiece for Halloween this year, but I didn't want an ordinary container. I have used pumpkins and plastic cauldrons in the past, but I wanted something thriftier and unusual.
I have a fondness for shoes and am always picking them up at yard sales. I decided on recycling a pair of black boots that had never really fit right. With that inspiration and a fun red and white striped fabric, I created a witchy centerpiece perfect for Halloween. The boots I used were short, but tall boots can be adjusted and used too. This quick project can be created in an afternoon and on the table by dinnertime.
Approximate Time: 2 hours
- ladies black boots
- floral vase marbles
- 1/3-yard red and white striped fabric
- poster board or lightweight cardboard
- straight pins
- sewing machine
- hot glue gun
- 1/8-yard purple Halloween fabric
- 1-inch clear rhinestone cabochon
- floral foam brick
- serrated knife
- Spanish moss
- dried flowers and fall leaves
- If your boots are tall, measure up from above the top of the heel approximately 7 1/2 inches and cut across the leg of the boot. Apply hot glue over the top of the cut zipper to prevent it from coming undone. Fill the shoe portion of each boot with floral vase marbles. This will provide stability to your arrangement.
- Cut two pieces of poster board or lightweight cardboard 5 1/2 inches wide by 14 inches long. A recycled shirt gift box works great for this. Roll the cardboard into 5 1/2-inch long tubes. Insert the tubes in each of the boot legs. Allow the tubes to expand to create the form of the legs.
- Cut two, 11-inch squares from red and white striped fabric. Fold each of the squares in half with the right sides facing and matching the ends of the stripes. Pin the long matching edges. Sew a 1/4-inch seam along the pinned edges to create tubes.
- Fold 3 inches from one end of each tube to the outside. This folded end is the top of your sock. Insert the bottom of the sock tubes into the boots with the seams at the back. Fold over the folded top of the socks approximately 4 inches over the edge of the boots to create a cuff. Apply hot glue under the cuff to secure it to the boot.
- Cut a strip 4 inches wide by 44 inches long from purple Halloween fabric. Fold the strip in half with the right sides together and matching the long edges. Pin the long edges and sew using a 1/4 inch seam. Do not sew the ends closed. Turn the tube right side out and press. Wrap the strip around the legs of the boots and tie into a bow on the front. Trim the ends if desired. Hot glue a 1-inch clear rhinestone cabochon to the knot of the bow.
- Cut a green floral foam brick using a serrated knife and fit into each boot leg. Cover the top of the foam with Spanish moss. Make an arrangement in each boot with dried flowers and fall leaves.
By Cyndee from Winfield
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2021 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.